8/14/07

Independence day

I have a little tradition at work for celebrating India's independence from the British. To commemorate our freedom struggle, a British colleague of mine borrows some loose tea leaves from me, packages them as "Earl Gray" teabags and tries to sell them back to me the next day. And for my bit, I bring in some sea water, walk over to his cubicle and make salt in a fondue pot. Kind of a swadeshi fondue.

We owe a lot to those who fought for our freedom. Their struggle and sacrifice enable us to enjoy the happy and fulfilling lives that we lead today. I recollect the scene from "Saving Private Ryan" where Capt. John Miller tells private Ryan to "earn it" just before he dies. That applies to all of us in the context of India's freedom struggle. Happy Independence Day to all my fellow Indians. Jai Hind!

1 comment: